Suspected Bondi Beach Shooters Acted Independently and Did Not Training in the Philippines, Authorities Say.
The two suspected individuals responsible for the lethal incident at a Hanukkah event on Bondi Beach, resulting in 15 lives, appear to have operated independently, per national police.
Investigators also confirmed that Sajid Akram, 50, and his son Naveed Akram journeyed to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans involved landing in the main city Manila before connecting that same day to Davao City. The pair flew back to Sydney on 29 November.
Lack of Proof of Preparation During Trip
Police have stated the individuals did not undergo any form of terrorist training or "logistical preparation" during their visit in the Philippines. Initial findings from local officials point to they "mostly stayed in" their accommodation.
The shooting—described as Australia's worst mass shooting since 1996—has been formally declared a act of terrorism.
"We are actively reviewing the material," the commissioner stated, noting that early evaluations show that "the two men are suspected to have been lone actors."
Australian Federal Police Chief Krissy Barrett briefed media on Tuesday that CCTV footage showing the accused attackers' movements in the Philippines had been provided to domestic investigators.
"Our investigation shows little to no indication to suggest these alleged offenders were part of a broader terrorist cell, or were instructed by overseas entities to carry out an attack," the police chief said.
But, the duo were additionally not in the Philippines for tourism, she added. She underscored that, as the investigation is ongoing, additional details might come to light.
Inspiration and Legal Proceedings
Earlier, the nation's leader Anthony Albanese said it appears both accused gunmen were "motivated by the so-called Islamic State" beliefs.
During the incident, Sajid Akram was shot dead by police. He and his son Naveed—both armed with firearms—allegedly targeted guests at the Jewish festival event.
Naveed Akram, who was hospitalised after the shooting, has been charged with 59 offences. These comprise 15 charges of murder and one count of carrying out a terrorist act. He is scheduled to face court in April.
Travel Details
In the aftermath following the attack, border officials in the Philippines stated that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an Indian passport, while his son used an Australian passport.
The two had declared the southern city of Davao as their final destination. Their pre-arranged journey back to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a expansive urban center on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest southern island. The region is known because, Islamist fighters have been known to be active in poorer parts of southern and western Mindanao.